Simple rules to guide you un-impeded through the world. There are many more. If you have any, please send them. I reserve the right to edit if I use them.
- Smile. You will gain more and have less hassle when you smile at people. Even if they are not smiling.
- Be nice to wait staff. Rudeness is a show of ignorance.
- Never, ever, photograph someone holding an AK-47. And never photograph government buildings, no matter what country you are in.
- Ask before photographing people. If you are in a third world country, pay them. It will just be a pittance to most travelers.
- Always be wary of anything that is placed on your table in a very small bowl, and is green. Taste it very carefully.
- Remember that most food overseas do not have preservatives, so wash your hands thoroughly when cutting bread and it will not mold so quickly.
- Always crack eggs open in a separate bowl, then transfer it over. You will find rotten eggs and you don’t want to have to throw out a cake mix like we did.
- When driving in a foreign country, always expect the unexpected. Vehicles will try to pass you, even if there is no room to pass.